Master's Project Travel Grants
For CS students only
The Graduate College’s Master’s Project Travel Grants provide reimbursement to Illinois students for travel-related costs incurred for the completion of an off-campus, short-term project required of one of the University’s master’s degree programs. Approximately 10 grants of up to $500 will be awarded given sufficient funding. Grant recipients are expected to conclude their travel by December 31, 2023. Grants will not be awarded for travel that has taken place prior to the completion of the competition process.
Selection criteria include necessity for travel, significance and feasibility of the project, and the applicant’s academic record and accomplishments. Budget constraints may call for the selection committee to give priority to nominees in terminal masters programs.
Only projects that satisfy all three of the following requirements are eligible:
- The project is short-term.
- The project satisfies requirements for the master’s degree.
- The required project takes place outside of Urbana-Champaign (i.e., travel is required).
Typical projects would include thesis research, travel for performance or exhibition that is required for degree completion, or final projects required for degree completion. Projects not eligible for support include internships, practicums, independent study, conference travel, and traveling for a performance or exhibition that is not required for degree completion.
The following students are ineligible:
- Students who have already received a Graduate College Master’s Project Travel Grant.
- Students in cost-recovery or self-supporting programs (see list).
Allowable Expenses: Allowable expenses include transportation, lodging, food, and other travel-related expenses for the awardee only (i.e., the grant will not cover expenses for dependents, assistants, or anyone other than the awardee). Expenses not allowable include equipment, supplies, photocopies, phone, internet access, participant incentives, or course registration.
- Supplemental Questions
- Is this a short term or long term project?
- Have you received a Graduate College Masters Travel Grant before?
- Does this project satisfy requirements for the master's degree?
- Does this project take place outside of Urbana-Champaign?
- Are you in a cost-recovery or self-supporting program?
- Please explain how this conference will support your studies, and why the Graduate College should support your attendance with this travel grant. Where possible, please write in layman's terms as the Graduate College review board is made of members of diverse specialties.
- Please upload one pdf with the following four materials: 1) CV (3page max, 1 inch margins, 11 pt font), 2) Project summary (2 page max, double spaced, 12 pt font, 1 inch margins) 3) Budget (1 page max) 4) Unofficial University of Illinois transcripts. Note: see details for project summary and budget here: https://apps.grad.illinois.edu/fellowship-finder/?action=main.fellowship&fid=3300
- (Masters travel) Please request a letter of recommendation your advisor that addresses your contributions to education, research, and/or service. They will be sent a link in which to upload the letter. PLEASE LET THEM KNOW YOU WILL BE REQUESTING A LETTER NOW! They will not be requested until your application is submitted, and we want to give them as much time as possible to submit.
- To the best of my knowledge, I have not committed any action that violates the UIUC Student Code or the CS Department Values and Code of Conduct.
- Show 4 more